Friday, July 12, 2013

Galatians 6 July 11, 2013





So, we recapped on chapter 5, which was basically to love your neighbor as yourself, the fruit of the spirit, then moved on to chapter 6. I must say, there were a few verses in chapter 6 that threw me for a loop. I almost understood it, but thought I would still put the proverbial checkmark by it, just the same.

Brothers and sisters, if someone is caught in a sin, you who live by the Spirit should restore that person gently. But watch yourselves, or you also may be tempted. Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. If anyone thinks they are something when they are not, they deceive themselves. Each one should test their own actions. Then they can take pride in themselves alone, without comparing themselves to someone else, for each one should carry their own load. Nevertheless, the one who receives instruction in the word should share all good things with their instructor.


I understood the first few verses--don't go pointing fingers at a brother or sister who is struggling with a sin. Pull them off to the side, and see if there's anything you can do to help them escape that entanglement. Don't embarrass them. Carry each other's burdens. That's plain and simple... that's the "love in action" thing. Verse 3? Don't be so arrogant. Don't be 'holier-than-thou'. Verses 4, 5 and 6? Not quite so sure. Although I understand that we're not to compare our actions against someone else's actions, and we're to make sure we're "doing right"... is that pretty much a check list?? Do I really want a check list? Then the Christian walk becomes a "to do" list, instead of just living. 
  • Did I read my Bible today? ✓
  • Did I say my morning prayer? ✓
  • Was I nice to my family? ✓
Well, you get the point. I don't want my life to be a check list, because then it becomes about me, instead of about God. 

I'm not sure what we're supposed to share with the instructor either. (verse 6). Just our thoughts to let the instructor know we've learned something? I'm not sure. 

If you have any idea, would you share it in the comment section? 
Thanks bunches!

No comments:

Post a Comment